St. Andrews Asylum is also known as the Norfolk Lunatic Asylum Annexe. It's a vast complex arrangement of traditional H shaped buildings all linked with a straight trunk corridor. Its rumoured that St. Andrews is only one of two original asylums that has a curved corridor.
The main Norfolk County Asylum has now been refurbished into luxury housing; what remains is the old red bricked building and the mortuary which is set away from the main building.
Building of the Norfolk County Asylum in Yarmouth Road, Thorpe St Andrew, was completed in early 1814. It continued to be expanded until it could care for around 140 patients in the late 1850s.
An auxiliary asylum, St Andrew’s House, was completed north of Yarmouth Road in 1881, allowing 700 patients to be accommodated. The two sites were, and still are, connected by a bridge over Yarmouth Road.
In April 1889, the institution was renamed the Norfolk County Asylum, and, after modernisation, had room for more than 1,000 patients.
During World War One most of the patients were evacuated to other institutions across eastern England and in 1915 the asylum became the Norfolk War Hospital for military casualties.
When the asylum was re-converted in 1920 it was named Norfolk Mental Hospital, although the local use of the alternative, St Andrew’s Hospital, was officially recognised from January 1924 onwards.
During World War Two the hospital was used as a multi-purpose hospital and received refugees, evacuees and civilian casualties in cleared wards, but maintained its complement of mental patients.
From the 1950s onwards, St Andrew’s spent most of its years as an NHS hospital under threat of closure and was eventually closed in April 1998.
The original grade II listed hospital buildings from 1814, to the south of Yarmouth Road, have since been converted into private housing.
St Andrew’s House was used as offices by the Norfolk Primary Care Trust until 2007 and in January 2011 the 13-acre site was put on the market by NHS Norfolk with a price tag of £2m.