Quarrying for limestone probably began in Roman times. In 1791 Benjamin Outram and Samuel Beresford bought land for a quarry to supply limestone to their new ironworks at Butterley. This became known as Hilt’s Quarry, and the stone was transported down a steep wagonway, the Butterley Company Gangroad, to the Cromford Canal at Bullbridge. Near there they also built lime kilns for supplying farmers and for the increasing amount of building work. Apart from a period when it was leased to Albert Banks, the quarry and kilns were operated by the Butterley Company until 1933.
Permanite Asphalt was incorporated in 1989 and later became known as Ruberoid (part of the IKO Group). According to Companies House, they were dissolved on 2nd September 2016. Located just outside Matlock, the plant made asphalt flooring blocks which were mainly used to waterproof the floors of new buildings.