The once magical Camelot theme park now lies abandoned – and looks like a horror movie set.
The Camelot theme park in Lancashire closed in 2012 after nearly 30 years of welcoming guests through its doors. The King Arthur-inspired park was shut off from the public, but we take you inside of this abandoned park.Read More
RAF Upwood originated in September 1917 when the War Department requisitioned Hill Farm, then owned by Lord de Ramsey, for use as an Emergency Landing Ground. The airfield was later used as a Home Defence 1st Class Night Landing Ground for BE2 aircraft of 7 Squadron, Royal Flying Corps. By the summer of 1918 permanent huts and five large hangars had been constructed…Read More
St John’s Mental Asylum in Lincolnshire, in the East of England, was built 1852. The building was then known as Lindsey & Holland Counties & Lincoln & District Lunatic Asylum.Read More
We visited Bankside Gallery which is a project to stop antisocial behaviour on this abandoned housing estate; the fairly large housing estate is currently in the process of been knocked down.
An outdoor gallery of street art that’s not only approved by the local authority but also celebrated by residents throughout the city, Bankside Gallery began in February 2018, just after Banksy had painted his awesome piece on Scott Street Bridge. With people from near and far visiting the industrial area to view this cultural asset, a collective of local street artists decided that a lot more could be done.Read More
Quarrying for limestone probably began in Roman times. In 1791 Benjamin Outram and Samuel Beresford bought land for a quarry to supply limestone to their new ironworks at Butterley. This became known as Hilt’s Quarry, and the stone was transported down a steep wagonway, the Butterley Company Gangroad, to the Cromford Canal at Bullbridge. Near there they also built lime kilns for supplying farmers and for the increasing amount of building work. Apart from a period when it was leased to Albert Banks, the quarry and kilns were operated by the Butterley Company until 1933.Read More
Thor’s Cave (also known as Thor’s House Cavern and Thyrsis’s Cave) is a natural cavern located in the Manifold Valley of the White Peak in Staffordshire, England. It is classified as a Karst cave. Located in a steep limestone crag, the cave entrance, a symmetrical arch 7.5 metres wide and 10 metres high, is prominently visible from the valley bottom, around 80 metres.Read More
Permanite Asphalt was incorporated in 1989 and later became known as Ruberoid (part of the IKO Group). According to Companies House, they were dissolved on 2nd September 2016. Located just outside Matlock, the plant made asphalt flooring blocks which were mainly used to waterproof the floors of new buildings.Read More
The former Pontins Holiday Park in Hemsby, Norfolk, played host to more than 2,400 guests in its heyday, but eventually closed to the public in 2008.Read More
RAF Coningsby due to the aircraft stationed there, there was an external bomb dump, in order to Reduce the quantities of explosives stored and the number of personnel exposed to risk, along with separating explosive processing from storage were the major lessons adopted in what I believe was the reason for a bomb dump further away than normal.Read More
St. Andrews Asylum is also known as the Norfolk Lunatic Asylum Annexe. It’s a vast complex arrangement of traditional H shaped buildings all linked with a straight trunk corridor. Its rumoured that St. Andrews is only one of two original asylums that has a curved corridor. The main Norfolk County Asylum has now been refurbished into luxury housing; what remains is the old red bricked building and the mortuary which is set away from the main building.Read More